My Italian Veggie Parmesan isn’t breaded or fried, but roasted, which gives this melt more taste and less carbs!
- 1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 8 strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) loaf Ciabatta or Italian bread, split in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
Preheat oven to 450 degree F.
In a large roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet, combine all ingredients except the cheese and bread; toss until well combined.
Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
Place roasted vegetables evenly over cut sides of the French bread then cut each half into thirds.
Sprinkle with Mozzarella and Parmigiano cheeses and bake 3 to 4 more minutes, or until cheese melts.