This dessert is ideal to be eaten for breakfast, as a snack and also after dinner, because it is light and genuine.
SERVES:4 TO 6
- 1 oz (25 grams) unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 5 oz (150 grams) plain flour
- 5 oz (150 grams) soft brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive or sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 oz (20 grams) shelled walnuts, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- Icing sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F) Gas Mark 4.
Grease a ring mould with butter.
Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg and a pinch of salt into a bowl.
Add the milk, olive or sunflower oil, butter and eggs and mix well.
Stir in the walnuts, followed by the carrots.
Pour the mixture into the prepared mould and bake for about 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the mould, then turn out, sprinkle with plenty of icing sugar and serve.